A 51-year-old Ellicott City man suffered major traumatic injuries after his car collided with a large truck. According to a WBAL-TV news report, the truck accident occurred at the intersection of Interstate 70 and Marriottsville Road in Ellicott City. Officials say a Toyota Tundra was traveling north when it collided with a tractor-trailer that was turning left. The driver of the Toyota has been listed in critical condition. It is unclear if either driver will be cited for the crash.
Intersections are where many of the most devastating Maryland traffic accidents occur. Types of driver negligence that can lead to an intersection accident include:
- Failure to obey traffic control devices: All riders must stop at stop signs and red lights.
- Failure to yield the right of way: Maryland law requires all left-turning drivers to yield to oncoming traffic.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are looking at their phone to text or call may fail to notice that the traffic light has changed.
- Speed: Motorists who travel at unsafe speeds are less likely to stop in time for changing lights and slowed traffic.
- Fatigue: Motorists who are drowsy may experience symptoms similar to those of intoxication, such as delayed motor functions and impaired judgment. It is particularly important in cases involving tractor-trailers to review how long the driver was behind the wheel without rest.
Proving what type of negligence contributed to the crash is an important part of the claim process. It can prove useful to have testimony from eyewitnesses, photos from the crash site, and footage from nearby cameras that may have captured the crash on film. It is also helpful to have medical records that clearly document the severity of the injuries suffered.
Victims of careless drivers can pursue compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other related losses. It is common in cases involving large trucks, however, for the at-fault parties to deny responsibility and for the victims to struggle to get the help they need. An experienced Maryland truck accident lawyer will be able to help injured victims and their families better understand their legal rights and options.