Now that summer is officially here, it’s a safe bet that many people in the Maryland and D.C. area are visiting public and private pools on a regular basis. It is without question that swimming can be a great source of exercise and recreation, and many people find laying by the pool extremely relaxing.
Unfortunately, any water-based activity exposes participants to a significant risk of serious injury—but victims can often recover compensation. For this reason, if you’ve been injured in a pool or spa accident, you should speak to one of the Maryland personal injury attorneys at Alpert Schreyer, LLC, as soon as you can.
Common Pool and Spa Injuries
While virtually type of injury can occur while at a pool or spa, the reality is that certain types of serious injuries occur much more often than others. Here are some of the more common injuries that people sustain in slip and fall accidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries – Not surprisingly, pool and spa decks are often slippery, increasing the risk of a serious slip and fall—and serious slip and falls often result in traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries in pools often are the result of unmarked or inaccurately marked pool depth. When people dive into water than they think is deeper than it is, they can hit their head with force sufficient to cause damage to their vertebrae, often resulting in a spinal cord injury.
- Severe lacerations – Pool and spas often contain many hazards that can cause severe lacerations, including broken glass or other debris, exposed screws or bolts on ladders or diving boards, and sharp surfaces or edges.
- Anoxic brain injuries – Whenever a person is in or around the water, there is a chance that he or she could be involved in an accident that resulted in submersion for an extended period of time. If a person is unable to breathe for too long, it can result in an anoxic brain injury, which involves damage to the brain. In some cases, people who sustain anoxic brain injuries develop long-term issues with speech, memory, and concentration.
Victims Are Often Entitled to SIGNIFICANT Compensation
People who are injured in pool or spa accidents can often recover compensation for the losses they have sustained. These losses often include:
- Medical expense
- Lost income
- Lost quality of life
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
In certain cases, victims may be able to recover punitive damages, which are intended to punish a defendant for particularly wrongful conduct and to discourage others from engaging in similar conduct. The representation of an experienced attorney will ensure that you or your loved one get the compensation you are owed under the law.
Injured in a Pool Accident? Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Consultation with a Personal Injury Lawyer in Maryland
People and businesses that invite others to use their pool or spa have a duty to maintain them in a reasonably safe condition. When they fail to do so, injured victims can often recover compensation for their injuries under Maryland law.
At Alpert Schreyer, we know how to hold negligent property owners accountable for their actions and do everything we can to make sure that our clients get the compensation they deserve. To schedule a free case evaluation with one of our lawyers, call our office today at (844) 632-7274 or contact us online.