An accident or injury can unfortunately cut short a fun and relaxing vacation. In some cases, you may need to seek medical care in the local area, further upsetting your travel plans. If you or one of your loved ones is on vacation and sustained an injury because of the negligence or careless actions of others, contact our experienced Maryland personal injury lawyers to assist you. We can help alleviate the complicated legal burdens while you receive medical care and work towards recovery. Call Alpert Schreyer, LLC, today for a free case evaluation.
What Steps Should I Take Following an Accident?
Car accidents, bicycle accidents, boating accidents, or slip and fall accidents when you’re on vacation can leave you with serious injuries. Seeking medical treatment right away is crucial to document the severity of your injury. The following steps may help you navigate the hours and days following the accident:
- Call 9-1-1
- Speak about your injury with paramedics and police at the scene of the accident.
- Visit the hospital or urgent care immediately to follow up on any pain or symptoms, regardless of how minor you may feel at the time.
- Follow treatment plans and recommendations.
- Visit your primary care doctor or recommended specialist upon returning home.
- Go to all medical and physical therapy appointments.
Gaps and inconsistencies in your medical treatments and rehabilitation will reflect negatively on your case. Following these steps will help you establish the nature of your injury and demonstrate to the insurance company the seriousness of the situation.
How Do I Recover Damages for My Injuries?
To recover damages in a personal injury case, the other party involved in the accident must fully or partially cause the event. You as the plaintiff bear the burden of proving your injury was the direct or proximate result of the other party’s negligence. This includes a breach of a duty of care, such as failure to drive a vehicle in a careful and reasonable manner. For example, maybe the driver exceeded the speed limit, and that breach constituted a foreseeable cause of your injuries.
Damages you may recover include:
- Economic damages – Medical costs, physical therapy expenses, lost wages
- Non-economic damages – Pain and suffering, emotional and mental anguish
- Punitive damages – Applies to cases involving gross negligence or egregious conduct
A skilled attorney can help you through the legal process and identify any potential defendants you may hold liable.
Contact a Maryland Personal Injury Lawyer Today to Understand Your Options
A vacation ruined by an accident can leave immediate and sometimes lifelong effects. Schedule an appointment with one of Alpert Schreyer, LLC’s skilled Maryland personal injury lawyers today for a free case evaluation at (844) 632-7274 or visit our contact page online.