Slip and fall, or trip and fall, accidents are the second leading cause of accidents that lead to personal injury (motor vehicle accidents are first). This type of accident can permanently alter the life of the victim, causing serious injuries such as broken bones, fractures, head injuries, or spinal cord injuries.
As most slip or trip and fall accidents are preventable, the best way to avoid a potentially serious accident is to be attentive to your surroundings and the surface you are walking on. However, slip and fall accidents are extremely common and are often not the fault of the pedestrian, so the following are some of the more typical factors in slip, or trip, and fall accidents so those on two feet can be aware of these potential dangers:
- Wet or slippery surfaces: These are a major cause of slips; highly polished floors, such as terrazzo or ceramic tile, can be very slippery, even when dry. Other areas have a high risk for causing accidents as well, including kitchens or food preparation areas.
- Insufficient lighting: Lighting that is insufficient or inadequate makes it difficult to see any obstacles or changes in the walking surface.
- Environmental Conditions: Slippery surfaces caused by winter ice and snow can be treacherous and can increase cold weather-related injuries.
- Stairways: Nearly half of all falls occur on stairs, so keeping stairs in good condition is essential to prevent a serious accident.
- Elevation Changes: Changes in the elevation of surfaces are a major cause of trip accidents, as even a small change can cause a trip. This can include curbs, cracks in the sidewalk, or ramps.
These causes of slip and fall accidents are frequently preventable as property owners are responsible for maintaining a safe, hazard-free premises at all times. If a property owner fails to do so, negligent parties can be held responsible for any accidents that may occur as a result. The skilled slip and fall accident lawyers in Waldorf with Alpert Schreyer can help you obtain compensation for your injuries if injured in a slip and fall accident. Call (844) 632-7274 to speak with a member of our legal team about your claim.