Falls on Maryland sidewalks are a common slip and fall injury. Falls sidewalks happen every day but they can sometimes cause serious and permanent injuries. As a result, falls on sidewalks are one of the most common bases for personal injury claims.
Common Examples of Dangerous Sidewalk Conditions
Sidewalks can be very dangerous as a result of negligence and a failure by an entity to properly maintain and repair the sidewalk. Unsafe sidewalk conditions can include:
- Cracked or broken sidewalks
- Exposed tree roots
- Icy, wet, or slippery sidewalks
- Debris left on the sidewalk
- Sinking sidewalks
- Uneven sidewalk slabs
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident on a sidewalk, it is important, if possible, to take pictures of any defects that may have caused your fall. You should also seek be sure to seek medical treatment even if you’re not sure whether you’re seriously injured.
Who is Responsible for the Sidewalk?
The party who is liable for dangerous premises is typically determined by who is responsible for ownership and maintenance of the property. Homeowners and business owners may be responsible for the sidewalk in front of their properties. In some cases the sidewalk may be the responsibility of a city of town. Determining liability in a sidewalk case can be complicated. That’s why it’s important to get the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Preventing Sidewalk Slip and Falls
While not all slip and falls on sidewalks are preventable, there are a few measures you can take to protect yourself on sidewalks:
- Pay attention—texting and talking on the phone while walking on the sidewalk can sometimes be as dangerous as doing so while driving. Make sure to keep an eye where you’re walking and always be aware of your surroundings.
- Walk carefully on icy or snowy surfaces—you get better traction on wet surfaces if you move slowly
- Wear theproper footwear—shoes that don’t fit you correctly can make you more likely to fall
- Don’t carry objects that obstruct your view—walking on a sidewalk while effectively blind can be dangerous.
Contact an Experienced Slip and Fall Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a sidewalk slip and fall, you need a personal injury attorney on your side. Contact the lawyers at Alpert Schreyer, LLC online or call us at 844-632-7274 for a free consultation.