A Baltimore city police officer and a truck driver were injured in a Maryland accident involving an out-of-control tractor-trailer. According to a WBAL TV news report, the truck accident occurred on Greene Street on the University of Maryland Medical Center campus in downtown Baltimore. Officials say the driver lost control before the truck smashed into several cars. The injured police officer was in one of the many parked vehicles that were struck by the truck. Officials have not released information regarding the cause of the accident.
Large tractor-trailers in Maryland often weigh up to 80,000 lbs. These huge vehicles are capable of crushing smaller vehicles and leaving a wake of devastation in their path when they veer out of control. Therefore, it is necessary for truck drivers to use caution at all times and for truck owners to make sure that their vehicles are in proper working order.
There are many reasons why a tractor-trailer may veer out of control. Investigators of these types of accidents often look into what the driver was doing at the time of the crash and what condition the vehicle was in. They must determine if driver error caused the crash or if the vehicle experienced a mechanical malfunction because of a lack of maintenance. In such cases, the driver, the truck owner, and even the trucking company can be held accountable for the accident.
If you are involved in a Maryland truck accident, here is a checklist of things you can do to protect your rights:
- Notify the authorities.
- Remain at the crash site until the police arrive.
- Exchange information with the truck driver.
- Make sure you get the name, license, and insurance information from the driver.
- Obtain information regarding who owns the truck and who is the truck driver’s employer.
- Take photos of the truck, your vehicle, and your injuries.
- Write down everything you remember about the crash.
- Do not refuse medical attention at the crash site.
- Make sure all evidence is preserved including the vehicles involved.
Victims of Maryland truck accidents have the right to seek financial compensation from the party responsible for their injuries. It is crucial in such cases for accident victims to seek the counsel of an experienced Maryland truck accident lawyer who can help to ensure that all evidence including truck driver logs maintenance records, and the vehicles involved in the crash is properly preserved.