Maryland Aggressive Driving Accidents
Aggressive driving is a serious problem on Maryland roads. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, speeding alone killed more than 10,000 people in the United States in 2016. In Maryland, aggressive drivers caused more than 3,300 crashes in 2015. If an aggressive driver injured you or a loved one, contact Alpert Schreyer today.
Examples of Aggressive Driving
At Alpert Schreyer, we have represented clients who sustained injuries in all sorts of traffic accidents, including those caused by various forms of aggressive driving such as:
- Swerving or erratic lane changes
- Passing where prohibited
- Running red lights
- Ignoring stop signs
- Failing to yield right of way
- Refusing to stop for a school bus
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Cutting someone off
- Driving on the shoulder
- Making illegal turns
Common Traffic Accident Injuries
Statistics show that accidents caused by aggressive driving have a higher injury rate. For example, our clients have suffered:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back sprains
- Pinched nerves
- Neck injuries
- Crushed limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
Particularly serious accidents can also lead to death. At Alpert Schreyer, we can represent grieving family members as they pursue a wrongful death lawsuit for the loss of a loved one.
After the collision, make sure to receive prompt medical attention, even if you do not think your injuries are serious. Seemingly minor injuries can worsen with time if you do not receive proper medical treatment. For example, spinal cord and back injuries can debilitate you if untreated, so get prompt intervention.
How a Maryland Attorney Can Help
Aggressive drivers leave their victims in states of confusion and worry. At this difficult time, you might feel afraid of losing your home or other possessions because you cannot work and cannot pay the medical bills that arrive every day in your mailbox.
To heal properly, you need to focus on your recovery. At Alpert Schreyer, we handle all aspects of an aggressive driver case, including:
Investigation. It takes high-quality evidence to win a lawsuit against an aggressive driver. Our team can perform any of the following to help bolster your case:
- Find and interview witnesses. Someone might have seen the accident and can testify about what happened.
- Investigate the scene of the accident. Somebody may have left important clues behind. If you contact us soon enough, we can visit the scene and find any helpful evidence.
- Inspect the damaged vehicles. Often, you can identify the point of impact and the speeds at which they were traveling based on a review of the damaged vehicles.
- Track down surveillance video. Many businesses have surveillance videos of their parking lots and surrounding areas. One might have recorded your accident.
- Consult with expert witnesses, if necessary, to better understand your case. We have worked with doctors, nurses, accident reconstructionists, and engineers to better understand how accidents took place and how you were injured.
Negotiation. The driver who struck you probably has insurance, and this insurance policy is an important source of funds since many drivers have no other assets. At Alpert Schreyer, we have negotiated with Maryland’s toughest insurance companies and know how to get favorable settlements.
Litigation. If a settlement fails, you might need to go ahead and sue in court to get the compensation you deserve. We have decades of experience in Maryland courts and can file a suit promptly and in the appropriate court. Maryland gives accident victims a limited amount of time to sue after an accident, and we will meet all deadlines and follow all proper procedures.
Frequently, cases settle before trial, but we are prepared to take your case to a jury, if necessary, and have deep experience explaining complicated issues in simple language that jurors can understand.
Injured victims need compensation to help them pay their expenses and give them peace of mind. At Alpert Schreyer, our clients have received compensation for economic and non-economic losses, including:
- Medical expenses, such as surgeries, doctor appointments, rehabilitation, prescription drugs, and equipment like crutches or wheelchairs
- Future medical expenses, if you need continuing treatments or medical help to deal with your injuries
- Lost wages, if your injury is so serious you could not return to work
- Lost future wages, if you cannot return to your old job or to any other job
- Damage to your car or any other property
In addition to financial compensation for economic losses, our clients have also received compensation for non-economic injuries, including:
- Physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Mental pain
- Negative changes in your intimate relationships
Pain and suffering damages are harder to estimate than lost wages or medical expenses. Nevertheless, you have suffered real harm, and Maryland allows you to receive compensation for this. Because each case is different, meet with a lawyer as soon as possible to obtain an estimate for how much financial compensation the law might entitle you to.
Protecting Yourself From Aggressive Drivers
You may find aggressive drivers difficult to avoid. Nevertheless, follow these safety tips to reduce the chances of an accident:
- Always try to stay calm and relaxed. If the other drivers around you are angry or in a hurry, take a deep breath. Don’t mimic the behavior of other people on the road.
- Avoid eye contact with the aggressive driver. This will only encourage further aggression.
- Try not to block the passing lane, especially if you are going slower than other drivers.
- Avoid escalating a situation. A driver who acts aggressively might fall in the grip of road rage. Try to avoid this at all costs.
Furthermore, model safe driving habits for your children and passengers. Always observe all traffic laws and allow ample time to reach your destination so that you are never in a hurry.
Maryland Aggressive Driving Lawyers Available to Help
If you or a loved one has suffered devastating injuries, help is available. At Alpert Schreyer, we fight for our clients’ rights, holding aggressive drivers accountable for the injuries they have caused. Call us today for a free case evaluation at (844) 632-7274, or send us a message online.