Maryland Defective Products Lawyer
Product Liability Attorney
A dangerous or defective product is one that causes a personal injury or illness as a result of an inherent defect or danger. Items that could be potentially dangerous or defective cover a gamut of items we use on a daily basis – from cars and cleaning products to toys, clothes, pharmaceutical drugs and appliances. Often times, it takes years to find out that a product could be dangerous or defective. When people are injured or sickened by a defective product, the designer, manufacturer or seller can be held liable for the injuries and damages caused. Victims in such cases would file what are known as product liability claims.
Product Liability Issues
There are three basic types of product defects:
- Manufacturing defect: In such cases, the injury is caused as a result of a defect that occurred during the manufacturing process. An example is when a defectively manufactured steering wheel in a vehicle cracks and causes the driver to lose control of the vehicle and crash.
- Design defect: In such cases, the product defect is caused by poor design. An example is the design of SUVs, which makes them more prone to rollover accidents.
- Failure to warn: Injuries can also be caused by products when the manufacturer fails to adequately warn consumers about the potential risks and dangers associated with the item.
How is Liability Proven in a Defective Product Claim?
Being injured by a product is not necessary enough to constitute a valid defective product claim. Injured victims must prove:
- They were using the product when they were injured
- They were using the product the way it was meant to be used at the time of the incident
- The product’s defect contributed to the injury suffered
- The product is defective
What Damages Are Available in a Product Liability Case?
As with any personal injury case, a victim who is injured by a defective product can seek compensation for medical expenses, loss of wages, pain and suffering and emotional distress. In addition to these compensatory damages, the court may also award punitive damages in products liability cases. Punitive damages are usually awarded in the most egregious cases where the court wants to make an example of the defendant and deter other manufacturers from engaging in similar conduct.
Call Us Today at 1 (844)-MDCRASH
- Defective Household Products
- GM Ignition Switch Deaths in Maryland
- Maryland Airbag Explosion Injury Lawyer
- Maryland Airbag Injury Death Attorneys
- Maryland Auto Product Liability Lawyer
- Maryland Gas Tank Explosion Attorney
- Maryland Tire Recall Lawyers
The Bowie personal injury attorneys at the law offices of Alpert Schreyer, LLC help injured victims receive fair compensation for their injuries, damages and losses. In any product liability case, tracking down all the responsible parties may be tricky. An experienced lawyer will be able to identify all the different parties that should be named in a products liability lawsuit. If you or a loved one has been injured as the result of a dangerous or defective product, please contact us for a free and comprehensive consultation.